Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quaker Virtues - Finished and Framed

Here's a finished photo of Quaker Virtues, framed and finished.
It's in a 16 x 20 frame, and matted with a black suede mat. Done on 28 count, 1 over 1.

I omitted the lower case letters, by choice. I replaced a motif just to please my eye, and adjusted a motif, because I could see that it wasn't balance in the pattern, but I couldn't figure out exactly what was shifted in the pattern.

I counted what I considered to be pattern errors, and came up with a rough count of 82.
If there were 4 extra stitches in the motif design, it counted as 4.
That doesn't include the designs that I just decided to redraw before stitching, or any design that I replaced with a different design.

It is an amazing pattern, and saying it may have 82 errors, isn't saying that the pattern has lots of errors, or is a terrible pattern. I was amazed at how tightly the designer was able to keep the motifs and the design of the pattern. It's impressive, very impressive.
It was a pleasure to stitch it, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from the same designer in the future.

Additional: I have finally seen another one of these completed, two months after I posted this photo. It was framed in a frame that was cut to follow the designs edge. One of the people commenting said that they thought that framing it that was was much nicer than just putting it in a rectangular frame, and cutting a mat with the extra angles. ( Like I did, I assumed. )

For the record. I paid $15 for the wooden frame, $5 for an entire sheet of suede mat that I have more than half left, and $6 for the glass. At the most I have $26 in total framing costs. If you can get a form fitted frame for that or less, good for you, but it's just not in my budget. I have too many things that I want to complete to pay a professional framer to frame every piece. If you can afford to do that, great, but I can't, and I'd rather frame 10 or more projects than just one.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have done it in all black, but again, I can't afford to do it in any fancy expensive thread. I wouldn't use that material either. I'm still trying to just use up what I have, and I had enough black to do the complete pattern.

I posted photos here because the pattern photo was incomplete, and I really would have liked to have seen a completed design before I bought the pattern, but it wasn't available.
From the pattern cover photo, I expected it to be more square, and that was why I point out that it is shaped more like a table placemat. Again, it doesn't matter, and if you like the pattern, but it was a bit of a surprise to me as I stitched it. And I've pointed out what I have omitted and changed so you won't expect wonder why the pattern you ordered didn't look the same.

I like to view other people's projects to get ideas of what I like and what I don't.
We've all seen some interesting combinations while looking at photos of other people progress.

But try to be kind and remember that not every person can afford to professionally frame every project, and even the people stitching know that not every stitching choice that we make is a good one.

And I also know that the persons comment wasn't directed at my choices, or me personally.
It was me that just took it that way. ( I'll jump off my soapbox now...)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Love how you framed Quaker Virtues, I am about to start this one and wanted to search the web to see if anyone framed it yet. Great job!!