Monday, October 11, 2010

Acknowledge Failure

Because it's nice to celebrate victories, it's also good to acknowledge failures.
So since I'm tossing this into the burn pile, I need a quick photo and to write why so I don't do the same thing in the future.
The plan was to use the same colors as Frederick for Frederika. Make the border diamonds match to tie them together. Stitch it on the same green lugana.
The plan was good, but somewhere things started slipping. The wing color wasn't going to pop. The leaf yellow, which is also the sun yellow, slips into the green. I laid out the bird floss, but when stitching the bird, the colors just are not working for me.
So it took about 12 days to get me this far, and I'd rather burn it than think 'yuck' with every stitch. It's not the pattern, it was my color translation that is the failure.

So I'm stitching on another UFO, and working on finishing the berry border on it.
And I didn't think - 'yuck' - while stitching at all today.

It seems like every lamp at my mothers house has 40 watt bulbs to stitch next to.
Finally found a 75 watt bulb, and I can stitch a little more.

1 comment:

Quiltsmiles said...

Hope you didn't torch it yet. Sorry that this isn't coming out like you thought and planned. But I thought, the female colors are not suppose to POP. In all species the males' colorings are more vivid to attract the attention while the "hen" delivers the goods. It looks great so far and I love all your other quakers, ink cricles, long dogs, etc. What a busy and talented stitcher. Your blog has some beautiful eye candy and thanks for letting me visit while I had my cup of tea.
Jane
Are you sure you can't make those 12 days of stitching work?