Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Alphabet Sampler


I could use a few stitchers opinions. Above is a photo of the bottom half of an alphabet sampler that I've been trying to design. So far nothing is set in stone, and I can still change everything.
Sometimes when I look at a pattern, there is an obvious mistake, or something looks really out of balance. I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something obvious. I'd like to start to stitch this part of it, but I'd really like a few opinions from other stitchers. It's my first attempt at a full design, but I change everybody else's designs, so I'm wondering if this looks odd to other stitchers.

Just not enough time to finish her yet.
And I know that I want to change the butterflies, and the text will be omitted completely, and the top border will still be stitched. I have a plan, but the butterflies will be the challenge.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Started - With My Needle

Started 'With My Needle'. This is the pattern on 28 count white evenweave. I started the pattern on 28 count natural light jobelan, but natural light jobelan is almost exactly the same color as the light rick-rack color in the center section of her skirt, and also the light color of the tulip flower. It also made the swirls almost blend into the background like flocking on wallpaper. It's a completely different look from white, but would have needed some thought as to changing a couple of the colors to something slightly different. I took the easy way out, and started over on white. Still managed to mix up the chart symbols for a few threads. It hasn't been a smooth pattern to stitch for me. It's my first time stitching a Goode Huswife pattern.

Oh, and I gave the woman a mouth. She just looks like a woman with a lot to say.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bernadette - ( Reversed ) Halfway

Thank you for all your comments about the Bramble and the Rose.
I can't wait to see all the color choices when the SAL starts.

My goal for today was to get Bernadette ( reversed ) half completed.
Stitching all that black in her hair always seems to take forever to stitch, so I'm happy to have that done.

I'm trying to just set mini goals from Saturday to Wednesday, or Wednesday to Saturday, and work on WIPs. Last week I stocked up on DMC floss for the next 10 projects, so obviously, I can't decide on what to stitch or when. I'm pretty sure that is a common problem for all of us.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bramble and the Rose - Finished

Bramble and the Rose - Finished.
Stitched on 25 count black lugana, one over one. Finished size is 9.25 inches square.
Stitched with Weeks Dye Works - Whiskey floss. Used all but three 18 inch single strands of the full 30 yards of 6 strand floss.

Thank you for all of the nice comments about this project.
I want to do several patterns with the whiskey on black, and hang them together.
So far I've completed this, and also Growth Rings, and plan on adding Quaker Floral, and a couple of the Long Dog patterns. I've stitched all the Cirque patterns on black with whiskey, and they all hang together, but this will be a second group.

My first start for the new year, and my first completion for the new year.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Bramble and the Rose - Almost Done

Less than two pages to do. 25 yards of 6 strand floss to this point stitching one over one.
Finished size will be 9.25 by 9.25 on 25 count lugana.
Hope it's finished before it's time for the next photo on Wednesday.
It was the first start for the new year, and it needs to be the first finish of the new year.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bramble and the Rose - still...

Time to move the hoop again after finishing another page.
Three pages to go, six pages completed. 21 yards of floss used so far.
I started a jar for the thread ends this year with this project. The best part about that is there aren't little thread ends tracked everywhere in the house anymore.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bramble and the Rose - More than Halfway

Only 4 more pages to go.
Trying to get back to posting twice a week. I just can't stitch any faster than that.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bramble and the Rose progress

Three of nine pages completed, and almost 15 yards of 6 strand floss to this point.
It's a very pretty pattern, but I'm a fan of her designs. Sometimes a photo just doesn't do a pattern justice until you see the pattern stitched.

Bernadette - Reversed

Started the reverse or mirror image of Bernadette from Courtney Collection before the end of the year. Lots and lots of black stitches.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Day Start

Couldn't resist starting a new project on the first day of the New Year.
So here is my start on The Bramble and the Rose pattern.
One page complete, and one floss completed.
Stitched with Weeks Dye Works Whiskey floss, on 25 count black lugana, one over one.

Started Christmas Day

Just couldn't wait till New Years Day to start a new project, so this is the project that I started Christmas Day 2009.
The is Escher's Portrait of an Engineer.
After stitching a grid for the pattern, I just had to stitch a few stitches.
One page complete so far.