Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cook, Fix, Clean, Organize, Repeat....

It was less than 3 weeks before I had to replace the new Nook HD+.
It was still working fine, but the front bezel that covers the screen was coming unstuck about 2.5 inches near the power button.  I got an official Nook cover, and it started to pop off about two days later.
It is only 'sticky' stuck to the screen.  And with the cover holding the corners tightly, then there was just enough pressure there to pop it away from the screen.  Since I got it at Barnes and Noble, they were very nice about just trading me for a new one in the box again.  Haven't had the replacement very long, but so far, so good. 

Got the woman that is helping me sort out my parents house a fancy new Kindle.  Been looking to get her something for helping me, and tolerating the craziness, and what she needed is a stove.  Picking out a stove for a woman that likes to cook would be wrong.  I am sure she knows what she wants, and it is hard to just show up with a new stove and say - Surprise!.  Funny idea to do, but she'd be stuck for a long time with something she really didn't like.  So since she started me on all of this e-reader stuff, when they went on sale this week, getting her the latest version seemed perfect, and getting it now lets her snuggle up and read this winter.
And it was sort of a bonus to just have it sent directly to her house, and send her an email saying - Surprise, it's on the way...!

And last night my stitching was begging me to start stitching again.  Need to change the furniture back around to get it away from the heating vents, then I will be back to stitching again.  One day of furniture moving chaos.  And then a few hours of which cheater glasses work best to stitch with again.

The store has my dishwasher now, but the installer would have had to squeeze me in and had 12 other things to do today, so I said I could wait till next week.  If the weather is bad then, I won't even mind, since the guy is from out of town, I'd rather see him get home safely, than to get the dishwasher installed, but then he has an accident trying to get home right before the holidays. 

Stopped Netflix for now.  I had caught up on the shows and couple of movies I wanted to see.
I did watch 'Poldark'.  My mom watched it, but I never saw it.  When it came out on vhs, she wanted to buy it, but the set was expensive.  She asked if I would pay half.  I was working, but it was probably $100 towards a show that I had never seen.  If she wanted it, she could have afforded to buy it.  She didn't.
So years passed, and when it was on Netflix, it seemed like I should watch it.  I watched the first episode a couple times, and just could not get into it.  But I finally decided that I was supposed to watch it, and the dvds were on sale, but I could just watch it on Netflix and not have to buy it.
So I watched it, and after a few episodes, I could understand why so many women loved the series.
So then, because usually I am mostly listening and doing something else, I really did want to watch the stuff that I was missing, so I ordered the series on dvd because it was so cheap now.  And I have the rest of the series on e-books, and even a couple of those books on audio.  So now I am a fan.  Now I finally understand.

And now I can add Poldark to Upstairs, Downstairs, and Dark Shadows...  All shows that I watched years after everyone else saw them.

I am trying to cook more, but there must be something that I don't do right.  By the time I cut it all up and get it into the oven, and it cooks for hours, then there is no way that I would have time to do this for more than one meal a day.  Making scalloped potatoes is a production.  I buy 5 pounds of potatoes, 3 pounds of onions, and mix it all into the one bowl and bake.  I have one baking dish that is the perfect size for this amount, and if I buy 10 pounds of potatoes, I bake the same thing two days in a row.  It freezes well.
But by the time I do this, I can't imagine trying to feed kids first, then make potatoes, then feed kids again at lunch, and the feed them again - hopefully with potatoes for supper.  This cooking stuff would just be never ending, and I would never have time to do ANYTHING else...  So I can't figure out if I am the worlds slowest potato peeler.  Or just really disorganized while cooking.  I make pumpkin pies, and doubling that recipe becomes an all day bake off too.  There must be a trick that I never learned.  I know women make several meals a day, and I have trouble getting past just one meal a day.

I don't mind cooking - and the dishwasher is still usable enough to get me by, but at the rate I cook, my kids would have starved waiting for it to finish cooking.  My ex husband commented about not cooking much, and when he worked at a bakery, he seemed surprise that I knew about proofing bread.  I said - Sure I knew, I used to make bread, I even sent a bread to the local county fair and WON...
Of course, I'd never made him bread, so why would he know that I could make bread.
I like cooking, it is just that everything takes me all day to cook.  And I can't quite figure out why.
I do the first round of dishes while it goes into the oven... but in the end there is always a second round of dishes.  Maybe I am a slow dishwasher.  I just can't figure out how to cook more than one major item in a day.

Off to do more laundry and house cleaning.  I do try to do that while stuff is in the oven.
At least it smells good.



No comments: