Saturday, February 27, 2010

Photo Day - Time to Post

Okay, it's photo day, so time to post.
Didn't get much done, and I started a new small pattern that I just couldn't stop thinking about.
Thought maybe I just needed to stitch something that I could finish in less than a month. It's coming right along, on a piece of scrap fabric that I'm not sure will be big enough to frame it easily.
Stitched some on the red design, but it just felt like I was painting an entire room with a brush the size of my finger. I know I'll get it done, but it's going to feel like it will take forever.
I like fussy patterns because they are so beautiful with details. I just couldn't seem to find any flow to my stitching.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bernadette ( reversed ) - Completed

Completed Bernadette from Courtney Collection.
She is stitched per the pattern on the right side, and the mirror image stitched on the left side.
Both are stitched with dmc 310 black on 28 count Dove Gray jobelan, one over one.
Used 27 yards of 6 strand floss the first time, and 29 yards of 6 strand floss the second time.
Finished design area 6.75 x 8.75.
I enjoyed stitching this pattern, and had been wanting to stitch a pattern from Courtney Collection. After stitching them both, I'm doing a happy dance now that they are completely stitched. Hooray!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bernadette reversed - progress photo

Bernadette reversed progress photo.
Thought that laying them out together would be an interesting photo. And since one is complete, and one is not, it's not just a flipped image. It's more obvious that I'm stitching the pattern twice.
But for some reason, the photo just strikes me as creepy. Maybe because it's not completed.
We debated if there was a preference for her facing one direction over the other before I started, and thought we would both preferred the one on the left, but didn't really know why.
The original pattern is on the right side.
*** I re-drew out the pattern to get the reverse image. I suppose with a scanner and computer I should be smart enough to mirror the pages without drawing it all out stitch by stitch, but I wasn't.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Do Bears - more progress

More progress on Do Bears.
Still using the 'stitch till Wednesday, stitch till Saturday' theory, meaning I can only switch to a different project on Wednesday or Saturday. You can continue on the same project or switch, but you are committing till the next switch day to the same project. It's enough time to make real progress, keeps me from getting tired of stitching the same pattern, or swapping paperwork and floss too often. Today is switch day - so back to Bernadette reversed.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Do Bears - progress photo

Progress photo for Do Bears. Not much stitching got done. This is as far as the first 8 yards of dmc floss stitched.

And the two Long Dog samplers are finally hanging together.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do Bears - Start

So if you finish one Long Dog sampler, you have to start the next one right? Here's the start of Do Bears.
Stitched with dmc 938 on 28 count china pearl jobelan, one over one.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Long Dog Sampler - Paradigm Lost - Framed

Long Dog Sampler's Paradigm Lost. Finished and framed today.
This just became the never ending project. The date on it is 2007, and most of it was stitched in 2007, but then I didn't like the small alphabet and wanted to change that. Then other things just needed slight changes. I omitted the fussy stitching in the motif on the bottom left because I notice the birds more with the open areas.
I finally realize that this was never going to be my favorite pattern, and that I just needed to finish stitching it, and move on. Probably a lesson I need to remember. Yep, even the photo isn't that great, but it's done, framed, and ready to hang, and I'm moving on.
Stitched with DMC 930, on white 28 count evenweave, one over one.
Stitched and framed to match and hang with Long Dog Samplers Mouline Rouge.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Goode Huswife - With My Needle - Finished

With My Needle from The Goode Huswife - Finished.
Used DMC floss as suggested on the pattern, on 28 count white evenweave fabric.
Stitched one over one. Omitted the text, and changed the butterflies. Outlined the arms so they didn't just blend into the background, added swirls, and gave her a mouth. Used the top border to weight the top of the design. Stitched area is 4.5 inches width, 4.75 inches height.

This is the way I had always pictured stitching this pattern, but you never know if the changes you have pictured in your mind will or won't work till you stitch it.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Splendor I - Start

Started Splendor I from The Heart's Content last Wednesday. It came with linen and floss, but I don't care to stitch on linen, and it was dmc 902? floss. So mine will be on China Pearl 28 count jobelan, with dmc 814 floss. I needed a square sampler for a corner of a sampler wall, and I'm hoping that this will work, and not take me forever to stitch.

Thank you for the comment about my sampler drawing. I did move the design up one row because my spacing was off. I still don't have a clue what will be on the upper part of the pattern. I just keep thinking of all of those little girls designing samplers a hundred years ago, and that I should be able to design just one. At least I won't have a teacher standing over me.

As a note to myself, I can probably skip buying more patterns from this designer. There have been too many fussy little mistakes in the areas that I have stitched. I have stitched her 'Flossie' pattern a long time ago, and another of her flower patterns that was stitched with silk on gauze. Just can't justify the extra cost of her patterns, especially with mistakes in the pattern.
I wanted to stitch a pattern of hers again, but this will be the last one.