First Sampler finished and framed. Frame is 16 x 13 inches from Kohls - cost to frame $15. From drawing it in January - to finished and framed by the end of August. It really was a perfect frame for this piece.
Stitched with dmc 815 floss, one over one. Used 42 meters of floss. Stitched on antique white jobelan 28 count. Finished size - 13.75 x 11 inches.
Okay, for the confessional.
Calling it 'First Sampler' shows no imagination, but I have to call it something. First implies Second. Since I'm pretty happy with the actual stitched version, I'm pretty sure that I'd give it another try. The only point that I goofed was to not notice the missing 'I' in the top alphabet till after I stitched the 'H'. So the top alphabet could have been centered better, but unless you are really nitpicking, it's not real obvious that it's not perfectly centered. I've always liked the red lions, and had already drawn them into the pattern when I re-watched the British version of Pride and Prejudice. When they all go to the first dance, the carriages are shown outside. The name of the place where the dance is held is 'The Red Lion'. Even though I've seen it several times, I didn't remember that. Couldn't include a date on the sampler - it just didn't look right, or looked like a memorial. My initials are in the center. Tried to fill in around them with more flowers and leaves and vines, but it looked too busy. I'm not thrilled with the initial area, but I do like the letter font, and maybe I could have done something different there, but the initials are simple, and they work. I couldn't believe how many fussy little changes I made while stitching. Since the patterns was drawn out, I expected very few changes, and I was wrong. But each of the fussy little changes I made to my pattern made it just a little bit better.
Thanks to Susan for letting me bounce my ideas off of her. Having a fresh, honest opinion was helpful.
For my first shot at laying out an entire pattern, I'm very happy with the finished project.
Page 2 of 15 for the pattern Drawing Hands completed last night.
Spent today on the phone with internet provider, trying to sort out my modem after a storm last night. It's working at half the speed that it should be, so there's still more to try and figure out. I'd rather be stitching....
It sure doesn't look like much, but it's the start of Escher's Drawing Hands. Completed the first page of 15 pages, or 2500 stitches of 49000. The corner of the sheet of paper.
I thought that stitching all that white on white would drive me crazy, but when you pointed out that stitching black on black might be worse, it made me laugh, and I had to agree. Stitching black on black would be a bigger nightmare for me.
This pattern called for 40 meters of white, or 5 skeins of dmc, and so my teeth are clenching thinking about all those white stitches. The past patterns have been accurate, so I expect it will use most of that 40 meters.
I gridded the fabric for this pattern and also the next Escher pattern out of the same 17 x 28 - 25 count lugana. So about $4 each for fabric since I could split the fabric down the middle. As a reminder to myself - stitched the grid with Coats and Clark black quilting thread. It's heavier than regular thread, and doesn't bleed onto the fabric.
It took about 3 days to do the first 300 stitches, and try to find that stitching groove again. I still haven't found that groove yet, but it's getting better.
Sheepish Designs - Ewe Alone - Finished. Stitched on African Daisy jobelan 28 count with DMC floss, one over one. Finished size is 3 3/4 x 4 5/8 inches.
Changes - Omitted border, alphabet is suppose to be blue not green, changed pot from brown to red, changed the center of large blue flower to lighter blue instead of the cream of the sheep. Omitted some of the flower stitches, and changed a few flower colors that just didn't seem right.
If I was going to stitch it again, consider other colors for the birds, and maybe the flower buds. Slightly lighter grass so the sheep can pop just a little more. Maybe my floss colors are just off because some of the floss is old.
It is really lovely stitched on yellow, but this photo doesn't show that because of the camera flash. I'm saying I might change this or that, but it was fun to stitch. Just changing a few things, it could have a different look to the same pattern.
Rounded the top corner. It WILL fit into the frame that I bought for it. Hooray! It will have under an inch on each side as a spacing, so it will be perfect for the frame. Now I just have to finish designing it and stitching it.
At this point I've used exactly 32 meters of floss.