Friday, June 30, 2017

Summer Schoolhouse....

 I ordered the With Thy Needle and Thread - Summer Schoolhouse kit with the first pattern, floss and fabric.  It was supposed to be 28 count fabric, stitched one over one...
Finally a series that is to be stitched exactly the way I do stitch all the time, on a fabric that I'm just fine with.  This just doesn't happen.  And I understand, not whining, just saying that THIS ONE was clearly right into my comfort zone.  So I pre-ordered it.  It came yesterday.  So I pulled out the fabric, a long narrow cut - 9 x 55 - and it's cut wonky...  so I pull edge threads to get straight.  Now it's straight, but it's not 9 inches wide anymore.   It's 8 inches wide now. 
But it's a crap mistake to make from somebody cutting a lot of fabric and either they just did not care - or they didn't know how to cut stitching fabric. 
And I'll give you two thoughts to this - if there are 6 designs on four patterns, and you did them as individual things - then you'd cut as you went - and the fabric being wonky doesn't matter as much - you'd have it cut after less than 8 inches in length.  This pattern design finishes at 5 inches wide - so they are allowing a 2 inch side border on both sides.  Mine will just be a smaller border, but it's wide enough to easily work in my 7 inch hoop.  But in a length of 8 inches - you'd only pull a few side threads to square it up. 
But my idea was I have no clue what the rest of the patterns look like - so maybe it would work like a bellpull, long and narrow.  So I started it from the top, which I never do...  But actually, I just am starting from the top center, and stitching the pattern upside down.  Once you have a few landmarks, you can then flip it and stitch it right side up. 
Where there is a will, there is a way...
It's a lovely little pattern so far.  

And I stitched a little more of Salem Sisters 3. 

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

I look forward to your progress on the Summer Schoolhouse piece. I only ordered the charts because I am not sure which fabric I want to use. I know you must be thrilled to have a set of designs that are actually designed for over one stitching. Enjoy your weekend!