Monday, April 28, 2025

Finish #2 for 2025

Winter Kaleidoscope - Modern Folk Embroidery.  Finish #2 for 2025.  Oh, that seems really sad.  Started it in Sept of 2024, finished April 2025.  The goal was two pages a month, 20 pages total.  I finished it in 8 months, not ten months.  Do I wanna stitch it again?  Nope.  It is just over 13.5 inches square.  I used EXACTLY 11 skeins of dmc 498.  On 28 count antique white jobelan, one over one.  I do mean I used right down to the last thread of the skein.  I was totally convinced I was gonna need to pull another length from a next skein, which would have been fine.  I still had 5 skeins.  But as it slowly filled in, I got down to the last eight stitches, and I had inches to spare.  Not a lot of inches, but it was fine.  I never had an huge counting mistakes that I had to pull out several threads.  I had a few where I had to pull out maybe a couple dozen stitches.  Nothing that would make me say, oh, just get 11 skeins, you'll be fine.  Nope.  In all my years of stitching, I can't remember it being that exact.  It's lovely.  Why dmc 498 ?  It was just a red that some store had a bunch in the same dyelot, so I bought them, and stashed them.  It was a nice stitch.  Originally I liked the deer on this pattern.  He had a few others with that same deer that I have considered buying over the years.  But stitching this - funny thing was - the deer are what I hated stitching.  So those other patterns are not gonna suddenly show up in my stash.  They aren't hard to stitch deer, or fussy, but after the first deer, I was over the idea of liking to stitch the deer.  Or doing more deer.  It's a lovely pattern.  I have stitched a few of his other designs.  It was a nice one to finish and be able to move onto something else.