Long Dog Samplers - The Token.
Finished and #15 for 2020.
12 wt Sulky spool stuff in white - on 25 count Victorian Red lugana, one over one.
Took 3 spools and I had 3 inches left in the needle.
I had more, so I was not in a panic, I just was hoping to finish and not have to start another spool.
No sane stitcher should think - oh, she used three - three will be enough... even while I was on that last thread I was thinking - three will not be enough. And you might breeze thru and have a yard leftover. I started with 7 spools - I don't like playing chicken and running out.
Couple of small things were changed - just to make my eye prefer it mostly.
Pictured with the spools just as a size reference.
It is 7.5 inches wide by 9 inches high if you do it one over one on 25 count lugana.
Now I wanna just say - I did experiment with what fabric to use that Sulky on - and 28 was too tight if you had a solid area, so I went to this more standard 25 count, and it's perfect. I use 25 counts if I have to stitch on black but I wanted to try this as a white on red.
And it is about as perfect a size combination as you can get. If you have any kinda wonky stitches, if you iron after and mist spray the fabric and floss - it kinda magically plumps all those thread even and makes it look like I am a wonderful stitcher. I am not. And the difference in using this is that it sits on the fabric higher, so it's a more textured result. Nothing crazy, but more than a regular floss we are all used to using. I still have four more spools of white - and I have a christmas santa thing I would love to try this again on - using that same Victorian Red 25 count. Both the fabric and the Sulky are on 123Stitch and at reasonable prices. And let me add - the red never bled color onto the white thread. Not while stitching - not when I misted it to iron it. I never soaked or washed it roughly... but it is something I might have expected - and there just wasn't any problem.
I did look up to see if that Victorian Red was still on the site, and it is - with another red that I know nothing about and have never used. But it is a wonderful combination for one over one using Sulky 12 weight on a spool.
1 day ago